When it comes to smoking cannabis or other herbs using a bong, the quality of the water used is often underestimated. Many smokers may not realize that dirty bong water can pose health risks that go beyond simply affecting the taste of your smoke. Some of these dangers are wildly underestimated by most people. Let’s get straight to it.
Is Dirty Bong Water Dangerous?
Dirty bong water is a breeding ground for bacteria and mold, which can be harmful to your health if inhaled. The longer the water sits in the bong, the more time these harmful organisms have to grow and multiply. If the bong glass isn’t clear, it’s not clean enough to hit. Some of the dangers of inhaling dirty bong water include:
- Respiratory infections: Bacteria and mold can cause respiratory infections such as bronchitis, pneumonia, and strep throat.
- Lung damage: Inhaling dirty bong water can irritate the lining of your lungs and cause inflammation. This can lead to long-term health problems such as emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Stomach problems: Bacteria and mold can also cause stomach problems such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Headaches: The chemicals in dirty bong water can irritate your sinuses and cause headaches.
- Fever: Inhaling dirty bong water can sometimes cause a fever.
The 3 main reasons these health issues can occur are:
- One of the primary concerns with dirty bong water is the potential for microbial growth. When left stagnant, the water in your bong becomes a breeding ground for bacteria, fungi, and other microorganisms. These microorganisms can multiply rapidly and contaminate the smoke you inhale, increasing the risk of respiratory infections and other health issues.
Increased Exposure to Toxins:
- Dirty bong water can accumulate harmful substances such as tar, resin, and other toxins from the smoke. As the water sits, these substances can dissolve into the water, forming a concentrated solution that you'll inhale with every hit. Prolonged exposure to these toxins can lead to respiratory problems, throat irritation, and other related health complications.
Unpleasant Odor and Taste:
- Apart from the health concerns, dirty bong water can also have a negative impact on your overall smoking experience. The accumulation of residue, ash, and leftover particles in the water can result in a foul odor and an unpleasant taste, which can significantly diminish the enjoyment of your smoke session.
Maintaining Clean Bong Water
Now that we understand the potential dangers associated with dirty bong water, it's crucial to prioritize cleanliness in this aspect of your smoking routine. Make sure to get a bong that is super easy to clean. Here are a few tips to help you maintain clean and safe bong water:
Change the Water Regularly
- Make it a habit to change the water in your bong after every smoking session. This simple step can help prevent the accumulation of harmful substances and microbial growth.
Rinse and Clean Your Bong
- In addition to changing the water, regularly clean your bong thoroughly. Rinse it with warm water and use isopropyl alcohol to remove any built-up residue or bacteria. Isopropyl alcohol is the best bong cleaner that is effective at killing bacteria and mold. To clean your bong with isopropyl alcohol, simply fill the bong with isopropyl alcohol and swish it around. Then, rinse the bong with warm water and dry it with a clean cloth.
Use Filtered Water
- Consider using filtered or purified water for your bong to minimize the presence of impurities and contaminants in the water. This can help improve the quality of your smoke and reduce potential health risks.
Keep Your Bong Stored Properly
- Store your bong in a clean, dry place when not in use to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria. Make sure it is fully dry before storing to avoid any moisture-related issues.
While the focus on clean bong water may often be overlooked, the dangers associated with using dirty water are real and should not be ignored. Maintaining clean bong water is not only vital for a better taste and odor but also for your overall health and well-being. It’s really not that hard to maintain a clean bong, your hits and health will thank you later.